This is a basic vegetable stock recipe that is a tasty and healty addition to many recipes. The recipe is from Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The book has a great section on vegetable stocks which I will be consulting as I look to incorporate more ingredients.
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 fennel stocks, including a few leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, including half of the greens
- leek trimmings: roots and leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 8 parsley branches
- 6 thyme sprigs or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt
Scrub the vegetables and chop them roughly into 1 inch chunks. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the vegetables, garlic, and herbs and cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The more color they get, the richer the flavor of the stock. Add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 quarts cold water and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain.
- Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone